It’s a rainy April day here in Schaumburg, Ill., (we can’t wait for those May flowers!), and our annual Earth Day cleanup got cancelled. So we held an Earth Day trivia contest instead, giving AVMA staff a chance to show off their environmental IQ – and also learn some new facts about the environment.
Would you care to join us? Test your own environmental knowledge with this sampling of the questions we learned the answers to today:
- What is an ecosystem?
- Which uses less water: a shower or a bath?
- What is a carbon footprint?
- Can you recycle the foil wrapping from a Hershey’s Kiss?
- How long can it take an aluminum can to break down: 100 years, 500 years, 600 years or 1,000 years?
- In the home, where is the most water used: in the kitchen, bathroom or laundry room?
How much of our air pollution comes from motor vehicles?
The average U.S citizen produces how much waste each day?
- 3.5 pounds
- 4.4 pounds
- 6.1 pounds
How many gallons of water are wasted each day from the average toilet leak?
- 300 gallons
- 400 gallons
- 500 gallons
- 600 gallons
What kind of alternative-fueled car has been around the longest?
- Gas-powered hybrid
- Plug-in hybrids
How did you observe Earth Day in your clinic or school or home? Let us know in the comments section. If you’re looking for ways to make your office or clinic more environmentally friendly, you can check out our Green Veterinary Practices section. Let us know if you find it useful, and also if there’s any additional information you’d like to see in it.
Happy Earth Day, everyone!