By: Stephanie Fisher, program manager and policy analyst, Governmental Relations Division
AVMA is pleased to announce the 10 candidates who have been selected to participate in the Governmental Relations Division’s (GRD) 2013 extern program in Washington, D.C. The program provides veterinary students with a four-week, hands-on introduction to public policy development and exposes them to federal advocacy for the veterinary profession.
The 2013 externs who have been selected are:
- Terese Noe, University of Illinois, Class of 2014
- Zachary Kern, University of Pennsylvania, Class of 2014
- Stacey Bunting, University of Illinois, Class of 2014
- Spencer White, University of Illinois, Class of 2014
- Kayla Stomack, Michigan State University, Class of 2014
- Kalie Pettit, University of Minnesota, Class of 2014
- Allison Joe, Purdue University, Class of 2014
- McKenzie Steger, Iowa State University, Class of 2015
- Tomasina Lucia, Washington State University, Class of 2014
- Nicola Painter, University of Pennsylvania, Class of 2014
Throughout their four-week emersion into the workings of our nation’s capital, these veterinary students will work side-by-side with GRD staff to educate congressional staffers on AVMA’s legislative priorities, attend congressional hearings and briefings, and meet with a wide variety of veterinarians in all sectors of the federal government and nonprofit organizations. The students will rotate throughout the year from March to October.
AVMA has been offering its governmental relations externship program since 2002. To date, more than 100 students have participated in the program.