The World Aquatic Veterinary Medical Association, the American Veterinary Medical Association, and the American Veterinary Medical Foundation have combined efforts making scholarships available to support veterinary students’ and new veterinary graduates’ involvement in aquatic veterinary medicine. Applications for 2013 Scholarships are now open and ALL application materials must be submitted by May 15, 2013.
Scholarship Award Intent & Criteria
Awards will be made to WAVMA/SAVMA members based on academic merit, current and past involvement in aquatic veterinary medicine, and the likelihood that the applicant will continue a career in private veterinary practice and provide aquatic veterinary services to clients. Awardees will provide a written report for possible publication in the WAVMA Newsletter within 30 days after completion of the meeting or project and, when possible, awardees are expected to give a presentation about their scholarship experience to veterinary students.
Specifically, awards are intended to support involvement and aquatic veterinary education of:
• Students enrolled in a recognized academic program leading to a veterinary degree;
• Graduate veterinarians enrolled in recognized post-graduate veterinary education programs; or,
• Veterinarians who have graduated within the previous 24 months and are in private practice.
Scholarships may be used to offset personal costs for:
• Travel, accommodation or registration at aquatic veterinary conferences, symposia and other continuing education and professional development (CEPD) meetings, including on-line aquatic CEPD;
• Travel, accommodation and other activities directly associated with externships that expose veterinary students to clinical aquatic veterinary medicine;
• Equipment and supplies needed for aquatic veterinary research projects not funded by other financial sources.
For more information and to apply, go to http://www.wavma.org/scholarships.