Ten students selected to participate in our 2016 AVMA Governmental Relations Division (GRD) externship program will strengthen our advocacy efforts on the Hill.
The externship program brings the veterinary students to Washington, D.C., every year, where they work side-by-side with the AVMA GRD staff to educate congressional staffers on the organization’s legislative priorities; attend congressional hearings and briefings; and meet with a wide variety of veterinarians in all sectors of the federal government and nonprofit organizations. This year’s externs were able to attend panels on biodefense, meet the veterinarians who work in government and take advantage of everything the city has to offer.
Next year’s governmental relations student externs are:
- Meghana Pendurthi, University of Pennsylvania
- Katie Bishop, University of Pennsylvania
- Jennifer Stiles, North Carolina State University
- Stephanie Willney, University of Illinois
- Jessica Squires, Purdue University
- Kelly Arthur, Colorado State University
- Matthew Holland, University of Illinois
- Samantha Scholz, University of Illinois
- Lori Hammond, University of California, Davis
- Amy Smith, University of Florida
Once they return to their veterinary studies following their month-long externships, the students are encouraged to remain involved in the political process and educate their fellow classmates about the importance of advocacy on both a state and national level.
Please join us in congratulating these 10 students. We look forward to seeing them in D.C. throughout next year! Learn more about ways to get involved with federal advocacy.