Rabies exposure is an occupational hazard for veterinarians and other veterinary team members who have contact with animals, so being protected against rabies is critical to veterinary wellness. Fortunately, if you’re a veterinarian or veterinary student with health insurance coverage from AVMA LIFE, assistance with pre-exposure rabies vaccines is included in your basic coverage.
September 28 is observed every year as World Rabies Day. What better time than now to make sure your pre-exposure rabies vaccination is up-to-date? Pre-exposure rabies vaccination does not replace good preventive measures such as protective equipment, and safe animal and specimen handling procedures. But it does provide additional protection needed by at-risk veterinarians, vet techs and other veterinary staff against rabies infection.
The AVMA LIFE insurance trust offers a variety of insurance products tailored specifically to the needs of veterinarians, and pre-exposure rabies vaccination and rabies titers are covered under its Member Basic Protection Package for veterinarians and the Student Basic Protection Package for veterinary students. AVMA LIFE also sponsors the Wellness Booth at the annual AVMA Convention, offering $50 rabies titers for veterinarians, their dependents, staff, and veterinary students.
Since AVMA LIFE insurance coverage is available only to AVMA and SAVMA members, this is one of the many ways in which your AVMA membership works for you on a daily basis. Among other benefits, the AVMA also offers resources that you can use to educate your clients about rabies and the importance of vaccination. These include:
- Downloadable rabies education posters – We’ve created three posters, including one featuring the image and message shown here, for you to print out free of charge and post in your reception and waiting areas and your exam rooms. Available only to AVMA member veterinarians, they deliver three different but very important messages about rabies prevention. Download one or all three from our World Rabies Day page.
- Client brochures – Give your clients take-home information to educate them about rabies with the Rabies brochure in our online store (also available in Spanish: La Rabia). We also offer brochures on Dog Bite Prevention (also in Spanish: Prevención de Mordeduras de Perros) and Vaccinating Your Pet (in Spanish: Vacunar a su Mascota). AVMA members enjoy discounted brochure pricing ranging from 16-20%, depending on the quantity purchased; you also can download and print them yourself for free.
- Video: Rabies: Simple Steps Save Lives – Shown below, this video also is available on our YouTube channel with captions in Spanish, French and other languages.
- Client handout: What to Expect After Your Pet’s Vaccination – Available only to AVMA members, this handout educates your clients about how their pets may react to vaccines and when they should call you.
- Rabies and Your Pet – Client-friendly information that you can share on your social media pages or link to from your website
Our World Rabies Day page also has links to other resources for both veterinarians and clients, including a rabies infographic and the Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control, 2011 (published in JAVMA).
World Rabies Day was launched in 2007 to raise awareness of the public health impact of rabies, which kills more than 55,000 people each year.