Ready-to-use materials make Aug. 15 observance easy for your veterinary clinic
August 15 is national Check the Chip Day, a day dedicated to educating pet owners about the importance of microchipping their pets and keeping their microchip registry details up-to-date. To make it easy for AVMA members to take part in this important event, the AVMA has developed a Check the Chip Day Toolkit with ready-to-use materials for you to connect with clients and help them update their pets’ microchips.
The Check the Chip Day toolkit, available free of charge to all AVMA members, includes:
- Ready-to-use social media posts and images
- Sample newsletter article and press release
- Check the Chip Day infographic and video to embed on your website
- Ready-to-print Check the Chip Day flyer for your office
- Tips on hosting a microchip scanning event
Veterinarians know that microchips are one of the most effective ways we have to identify and reunite a lost pet. However, your clients may be surprised to learn that not all microchipped pets make it home. Studies show that the main reason microchipped pets aren’t returned to their owners is due to incorrect or outdated contact information. Also responsible are microchips that haven’t been registered at all or are registered to the wrong manufacturer database.
National Check the Chip Day, established through a partnership between the AVMA and the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), and sponsored by HomeAgain, is an opportunity to remind your clients that it’s not enough to have their pets microchipped; they have to also keep their registry details up-to-date.
Here are some things you can do to encourage your clients to check (and update) their pets’ microchips:
- Emphasize how quick it is – checking and updating microchip registry information takes less than two minutes.
- Share local and national pet reunion stories in your office to encourage clients to take action.
- Host a microchip scanning event to show what contact information is currently on file for clients’ pets.
Our Check the Chip Day toolkit provides all the resources you need to plan these activities and more, and to spread the word to your clients and community about Check the Chip Day. Visit avma.org/ChecktheChip to learn more and start preparing today.
Special thanks to HomeAgain for support of 2017 Check the Chip Day.