The following alert was sent this morning to AVMA/SAVMA members who opted in to receive email alerts about animal and public health issues. If you are a member and you’d like to opt in to receive these alerts or any other AVMA alerts or newsletters, visit our Newsletters page.
A recent media report focused on some pet owners’ beliefs that their dogs died due to the use of Trifexis®, a heartworm and intestinal parasite preventive medication. There also have been statements made on social media alleging illness and death due to the medication. The manufacturer, Elanco, and the FDA are aware of these complaints. To date, no deaths have been definitively linked to the drug.
It’s likely that you may receive questions from your clients about this issue, and you may have clients who are unwilling to continue or begin using this medication.
We have talking points on our website that may help you with these conversations, and we will continue to post updated information about this issue on the same website page, as it becomes available. We post notifications on our website of all animal-related food, drug and product recalls on our product safety alerts page. We also report animal-related safety alerts and recalls on a real-time basis on our @AVMARecallWatch Twitter feed.
We also have a page for pet owners on this subject. Feel free to share this page with your clients.