USDA training now open to all veterinary professionals for CE credit

Telemedicine-ComputerDr-GettyImages-508064826The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Veterinary Accreditation Program (NVAP) training modules are now open to all licensed veterinarians and to veterinary technicians, thanks to a partnership between the NVAP and Iowa State University.

USDA-accredited veterinarians who complete the modules will earn credit for accreditation renewal, according to a USDA statement.  All veterinarians and veterinary technicians can earn no-cost CE credits approved by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards’ Registry of Approved Continuing Education by completing an optional, seven-question quiz with at least five correct answers.

By expanding the number of veterinary professionals who complete the training modules, the USDA hopes to better prevent the spread of foreign animal diseases, zoonotic diseases, and antimicrobial-resistant bacteria. Twenty modules are currently available.

The modules also are open to the general public. “Many of our modules on veterinary feed directives, aquaculture, and use of antibiotics in animals attract producers, agriculturalists, and researchers,” said Dr. Tim Cordes, senior staff veterinarian with the NVAP.

6 thoughts on “USDA training now open to all veterinary professionals for CE credit

  1. Fantastic initiative! Thank you for offering this training to our profession.

    Carolyn J Henry
    Interim Dean, University of Missouri CVM

  2. Why are international veterinary graduates, registered with the ECFVG, not included?

    • Dr. Whitham,

      These modules are available to everyone, including international veterinary graduates.

      – Megan Boedecker, AVMA Staff

  3. Does the antimicrobial resistant bacteria module cover the requirements of California License Board for veterinarian 2019 renewable licenses?

    • Hello Dr. Sere,

      This is a question that the California board of veterinary medicine could answer for you. They set the rules on renewal of licensure (including acceptable CE) in that state, so we recommend going right to the source for the most accurate answer. (If you have any difficulty, we recommend contacting the California Veterinary Medical Association, which might also have some more-localized resources.)

      State-by-state resources, including state veterinary medical associations and veterinary boards, can be found on our website here:

      Thank you!
      Kate Tormey
      Assistant Director, State Advocacy