An increasing number of veterinary clients understand that microchips can help reunite them with lost pets, but many still don’t know that they need to make sure their contact information is correct in the chip’s registry.
That’s why the AVMA sponsors Check the Chip Day every August 15 as a reminder for pet owners to check and update their microchip registry information. Check the Chip Day helps you extend your relationship with clients by working with them to ensure their families will be reunited if pets become separated from them.
To help you reach out to clients and educate them about microchipping and the importance of keeping chip registration current, we’ve assembled a Check the Chip Day Toolkit with a broad range of materials to promote and prepare for the day.
The toolkit offers these resources:
- A client handout to help owners keep track of their pet’s microchip information and know when the chip registry was last checked.
- Suggestions for stress-free ways to observe Check the Chip Day and for sharing information with clients
- Ready-to-use social media posts and images
- A full-size version of the microchipping infographic shown here, which you can use on your website or social media
- A newsletter article for your email or printed newsletter
- A sample proclamation that can be personalized for use by your local or state government
- A customizable press release to let your clinic and your doctors get the word out to local media
August 15 is fast approaching, so don’t delay. The reminders you give to clients and your community between now and Check the Chip Day can mean the difference between heartbreak and happiness – and show the depth of your concern and care for the animals you treat. Check out the Check the Chip Day toolkit to see how easy it is to bring Check the Chip Day to your hospital.